Queen’s funeral:-The UK’s longest-serving monarch died last week on Thursday after reigning for 70 years.
The monarch was lying-in-state in the oldest building on the parliamentary grounds since Wednesday as several people filed past her coffin to pay their respects. Long queues were seen along the banks of River Thames as people waited to bid farewell to Queen Elizabeth II.
Meanwhile, ahead of the funeral, Indian President Droupadi Murmu met King Charles III at the reception hosted by the Britain’s new monarch at Buckingham Palace – and offered condolences.
Follow all the updates here:
- Sep 19, 2022 05:24 PM IST75 steps per minute for the final processionThe procession of Queen Elizabeth II’s coffin to her resting place featured 75 steps a minute taken to the sounds of drummers beating 75 beats per minute.
- Sep 19, 2022 04:54 PM ISTFinal journey for Queen Elizabeth IIAfter the state funeral service at Westminster Abbey, Queen Elizabeth II begins her final journey to Wellington Arch from where she will be carried to Windor Castle for burial beside her husband Prince Phillip. Her son and new monarch King Charles III and his siblings, and other royal members walk behind the coffin.
- Sep 19, 2022 04:43 PM ISTA lament, played by the Queen’s piper, brings service to endA lament, played by Queen Elizabeth II’s piper, brings the state funeral service to end.
- Sep 19, 2022 04:39 PM IST‘God Save the King’ sung inside Westminster Abbey‘God Save the King’ sung inside Westminster Abbey at the state funeral of Queen Elizabeth II.
- Sep 19, 2022 04:37 PM ISTTwo-minute silence observed across the UKA two-minute silence was observed at the state funeral and across the UK in honour of Queen Elizabeth II.
- Sep 19, 2022 04:03 PM ISTArchbishop of Canterbury says Queen was ‘joyful’In his address for Queen Elizabeth II’s funeral, Archbishop of Canterbury remembered her as “joyful, present, touching multitude of lives”. He also commended the late monarch for her optimistic speech to the people of the UK during Covid-19 pandemic.
- Sep 19, 2022 03:43 PM ISTService begins at Westminster; King Charles III, his siblings in front row Service at the Westminster Abbey for the Queen’s funeral has begun. The late monarch’s son and current ruler – King Charles III, his sons and siblings are in the front row and also walked behind the Queen’s coffin. Now, prayer songs are being sung.
- Sep 19, 2022 03:34 PM ISTQueen’s coffin reaches Westminster AbbeyQueen Elizabeth II’s coffin reaches Westminster Abbey as guests, including world leaders and royal family, present there stand out of respect to the late monarch of Great Britain. The coffin is adorned with flowers picked from the gardens of the late monarch on the special request of her son and current ruler of the UK – King Charles III.
- Sep 19, 2022 03:28 PM ISTQueen’s coffin carried by Grenadier Guards en route to state funeralThe coffin of Queen Elizabeth II carried by by Grenadier Guards are on the way to the Westminster Abbey.
- Sep 19, 2022 02:57 PM ISTFormer British PMs arrive at AbbeySeveral former ministers of the UK, including David Cameron and Boris Johnson, arrive at Westminster Abbey along with their better halves.
- Sep 19, 2022 02:46 PM ISTJoe Biden and First Lady Jill arrive at Westminster AbbeyUS President Joe Biden, and his wife – First Lady Jill Biden, arrive at Westminster Abbey for the funeral of Queen Elizabeth II.
- Sep 19, 2022 02:31 PM ISTFrench President Emmanuel Macron arrives at Westminster AbbeyFrench President Emmanuel Macron along with his wife Brigitte Macron arrive at Westminster Abbey ahead of Queen’s funeral. Ireland’s President and Brazil’s President were also seen.
- Sep 19, 2022 01:54 PM ISTHeathrow Express faces power line failureHeathrow airport on its official Twitter handle says that “due to an overhead power line failure there are currently no Heathrow Express or Elizabeth Line services heading to Heathrow. Passengers can use their tickets on Tube and bus services instead.”
- Sep 19, 2022 01:43 PM IST2,000 people to take part in Queen’s state funeral Around 2,000 people are set to take part in Queen Elizabeth II’s state funeral at Westminster Abbey today.